BROWNSVILLE: Haywood County Print

http://www.isjl.org/history/archive/tn/brownsville.html has Jewish Community history and photos. [January 2009]

Jewish population in 1919 was 28. Source: "Directory of Jewish Local Organizations in the United States" pp. 330-583. American Jewish Year Book 5680 September 25,1919 to Sept. 12, 1920; Volume 21 Edited by Harry Schneiderman for the American Jewish Comm. Contributed by Alan Hirschfeld.

Of the 68 foreign born people buried in Brownsville's cemetery, 52 were from Germany.  By 1937, sixty Jews lived in Brownsville. In 1975, 45 Jews lived in town; today, only six Jews remain. Source: [January 2009]

See: Jewish Community and Cemetery Study of Brownsville, by Stephen Udelsohn. Memphis, TN: April 1975. Histories file in AJA. American Jewish Archives, 3101 Clifton nas Ave. Cincinnati, Ohio 45220-2488. Phone: 513-221-1875. FAX: 513-221-7812 E-mail: AJA contact form .

 

Adas Israel Temple: In 1867, Brownsville’s growing Jewish community founded an Orthodox congregation, Adas Israel, meeting in private homes of Jacob Felsenthal and Joseph Sternberge and in rooms above stores owned by the Anker and Rothschild families. Reform after 1879. Claim to be thee oldest Jewish house of worship remaining in Tennessee.

 

 

Adas Israel Cemetery: [January 2006]

In 1878, Adas Israel purchased land for a burial ground, still active in 2009. [January 2009]

Last Updated on Saturday, 17 April 2010 17:45