JODENSAVANNE Print
JODENSAVANNE:
  • Cemetery: "Findings of the work of the expedition team indicate that the cemetery may have existed prior to the 1667 exchanged of Suriname from the English to the Dutch and that the cemetery was active for over two hundred years. Many of the deceased were rabbis, their wives, and hazans. Epitaphs indicate that women held leadership roles, including that of plantation master and hazan (who most probably led the women in prayer). One epitaph describes an individual plantation owner as "virtuous and honorable" and states that he died subsequent to beating his "rebellious Black slaves." Imagery expressive of identity of the deceased includes mohel, mother, Levite, Cohen, youth and Spanish noble Imagery expressive of the ideologies of the community includes messianic hope. Tombs with Hebrew and Portuguese (or Spanish) languages epitaphs are not translations of each other. Rachel Frankel and Aviva Ben-Ur hope to publish the findings and documentation as a complete archive. Prior this expedition, two inventories have been attempted by others, but none has been published.
    Source: http://www.cvexp.org/newsltr/surinm99.htm
  • Jodensavanne's second Jewish cemetery is located a few miles north of Casipora Cemetery. It was established subsequent and adjacent to the community's second synagogue built in 1685. The community's first synagogue is believed to have existed within close proximity of Casipora Cemetery. Despite the establishment of the second cemetery, some families and individuals continued to use Casipora Cemetery. Source: http://www.cvexp.org/newsltr/surinm99.htm
    http://www.isjm.org/Projects/Suriname.htm