GEORGETOWN: Georgetown County Print

Please see synagogues and temples for Georgetown contact information, history, and photo links. [April 2009]

Temple Beth Elohim and Cemetery.

The cemetery founded in 1772 is the second oldest cemetery in SC. See history and history. [May 2009] Temple organized in October 1904.[April 2009]

Located on the corner of Broad and Duke Streets and the second oldest Jewish burial site in the state contains the graves of three of Georgetown's six Jewish mayors and many Confederate soldiers. The Jewish Historical Society of South Carolina headstone photos and burial list. cemetery telephone: 843-527-7545 burials [January 2010]

REFERENCES:

1919 Jewish population was 46. Source: "Directory of Jewish Local Organizations in the United States" pp. 330-583. American Jewish Year Book 5680 September 25, 1919 to Sept. 12, 1920; Volume 21. Edited by Harry Schneiderman for the American Jewish Committee. Submitted by Alan Hirschfeld.

The Jewish cemetery at Georgetown, S.C. compiled by Barnett A. Elzas. Charleston, S.C.: Elzas,1910. F279.G3 E4. See first entry under Camden. The cemetery is at the corner of Duke St. and Broadstreet and shown on the Georgetown National Register Historic District Map available at the town visitor center.

"Congregation Beth Elohim and cemetery of Georgetown, fifty miles north of Charleston, is used on an irregular basis. The earliest cemetery plot dates to 1772." Postcard [October 2000]

Cemetery contains about 200 headstones dating from 1772 to current. Most are legible. Source: Arline Sachs This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

 

Last Updated on Monday, 09 August 2010 02:57