Alternate names: Beltinci [Slovene], Belatincz or Belatinc [Hun]. Böltinci, [Prekmurian], Fellsdorf [German]. 46°37' N, 16°14' E, in NE Slovenia, 90 miles ENE of Ljubljana, 5 miles SE of Murska Sobota. 1880 Jewish population: 152. See JewishGen Hungary SIG.
Beltinci is a settlement and a municipality in in the region of Prekmurje region of NE Slovenia with 8,256 inhabitants. It was a sanjak as "Balatin" which belonged at first Budin Eyalet, later Kanije Eyaleti during Ottoman rule before Treaty of Carlowitz. Until 1937, there was a Jewish Orthodox Synagogue. built in 1860 that served the local Jewish community of Beltinci. [September 2010]
Jewish history. ""Part of today's Panonska Street was predominantly inhabited by Jews. Two Jewish cemeteries are known - the old and the new. In 1970s, the inhabitants of Beltinci had all the Jewish tombstones removed and transformed the new cemetery into meadows. The old one had been abandoned long ago, before the First World War. The memorial plaque commemorating those who are buried at the cemetery in Beltinci is now at the cemetery in Dolga vas, near Lendava. The synagogue in Beltinci was built around 1860, at the time when the Israelite community, as it was then called, seceded from the Lendava community. In need of renovation in a town where Jews were rare and there was no rabbi, the synagogue was destroyed in 1937. The last rabbi in Beltinci was Adolf Kaufman and his descendants today live in Hungary and in the United States. At its peak, the Israelite community of Beltinci was a large community comprising the villages of Bogojina, Dokležovje, Dobrovnik, Odranci, Ižakovci, Melinci, Lipa, Gančani, Bratonci, Lipovci, obe Polani, Turnišče, Renkovci, Hotiza, and all villages of the lower part of Prekmuje. After 1880 almost every single one of these villages had a Jewish cemetery. Most Jews left Beltinci after the revolution of 1918, which was accompanied by plunders of the castle as well as their shops. The Jewish community of Beltinci boasted an important number of intellectuals and physicians. On 26 April 1944 the Jews of Beltinci and its surroundings were gathered at the old elementary school where they were kept until the next day when they were transported to Auschwitz wherefrom no one returned." [September 2010]
|Last Updated on Saturday, 04 September 2010 12:58|