US Commission No. SLCE000041
Velky Saris is located NW of Presov. The isolated wooded hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. 100-500 19th-20th century, marble, granite, and sandstone flat shaped tombstones or finely smoothed and inscribed stones have Hebrew and German inscriptions. 20-100 are in original locations. Adjacent properties are forest. Rarely, private individuals visit. Security and pollution are moderate threats; vandalism is a very serious threat.
Alternate name: Nagy Saros
From Barkany's book, ISBN 80-85128-56-X: "Jews lived there in the year 1251. Cemetery is 2km from village and 4 km from Presov in forest next to main road from Presov to Orlov. Established 1780. 75m longx21 meters. Terrain: on a hill. In middle, rather steep. A stone wall around. Men and women separate. Large portion broken, cemetery rather destroyed." [There is absolutely no marking on the road to find this cemetery. An access road winds into the hills. A little further, on foot, the cemetery is in a forest setting with 33 stones. Some graves seemed to have been plundered. Source: Paul Klein; pklein5ATgmail.com
Map of Village
|Last Updated on Saturday, 14 November 2015 20:19|