|VELKE RIPNANY: Topolcany|
town image [February 2009]
US Commission No. SLCE000001
Alternate names: Gross-Rippen in German and Nagyrepeny in Hungarian. Velké Ripňany, Nagy Rippény, Nagyrépény. Velke Ripnany is located in Topolcany at 48º30' 17º59', 22 km NWN of Nitra. Cemetery is in NE part of village, near road to Luzany. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews (as of 1957).
The earliest known Jewish community was about 1850. 1938 Jewish population was 20 families at most. Jewish houses were plundered in 1918. The Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and locking gate. The latest legible gravestone is 1932. The isolated flat urban location has a sign in Slovak that mentions Jews. A pre-burial house has inscriptions. The pre- and post-WWII size is 35x35 meters. 20-100 marble, granite, and other materials flat shaped tombstones or finely smoothed stones with Hebrew and German inscriptions are the cemetery. 1-20 are in original locations. The site is Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. Rarely, local residents visit. Vegetation was cleared. Now, occasionally individuals clear and clean. Within the cemetery is a pre-burial house. No threats.
Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5 and Petr Ehl (see survey info at beginning of Slovakia section) completed survey 18 Nov 1991. Documentation: notes of arch. Jeno Barkany, 1957. Ehl visited site in 1991. No interviews.
US Commission No. SLCE000258
Velke Ripnany is located in Topolcany, SE of Piestany. Last known Jewish burial was in 1932. The isolated flat urban location has a German sign or plaque. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and locking gate. Present cemetery size is 35x35m. 20-100 twentieth century, marble, granite, and other materials flat shaped tombstones or finely smoothed and inscribed stones have Hebrew and German inscriptions. 1-20 are in original locations. Within the cemetery is a pre-burial house. Adjacent properties are residential. The pre- and post-1939 boundaries are the same. Private visitors stop rarely. Individuals clear or clean occasionally. Pollution is a moderate threat; vandalism is a serious threat.
Map of Village
History of Village: Alternate names include Ripin (1156) , Repen (1246), Rypun (1285), Nogrepen (1390), Welke Ripnany (1773), Veľké Ripňany (1920); and Hungarian Nagyrippény. During WWII the inhabitants were mainly peasants, The village had a distillery.. Source: Vlastivedný slovník obcí na Slovensku, 3 rd part.
|Last Updated on Monday, 09 February 2009 14:28|