Alternate names: Tyrnau, Nagyszombat in Hungarian, Tirnau/Turnau/Tyrnau in German, and Tyrnavia in Latin.
See books in "The Jewish Community". : Die juedischen Friedhoefe in der Slowakei; [Jewish Cemeteries in Slovakia as of 1966]: "Trnava is one of the oldest and may be typical. Nine pre-1539 tombstones survived and were inventoried in 1867. Today no trace of them survives."
US Commission No. SLCE000005
Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with 10-100 Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community in town was 14th century. 1930 Jewish population was 2,707. 14 Jews were burned in 1494. Jews were expelled for three centuries in 1539 with liquidation of cemetery and synagogue. WWII deportation was in 1942. Rabbi/historian of Austrian Jews, David Herzog (1869-1947 in Oxford, England) lived in Trnava.
The Jewish cemetery was established in 1801. Rabbi Szimon Szidon, 19th century author, was buried here. The latest legible Orthodox or Conservative tombstone was dated 1909. The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission. Surrounded by a masonry wall on the NE and S sides and a fence on the western side, the gate locks. Before WWII and now, the cemetery is 55x35 meters.
100-500 19th century marble, granite, and sandstone flat shaped tombstones (some with carved relief decorations), finely smoothed and inscribed stones, or multi-stone monuments are in original locations. Less than 25% are toppled or broken. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces or metal fences around graves. Inscriptions are Hebrew, German, and Hungarian. Tombstones date from beginning 19th century. Tranava Jewish community owns the property used for the Jewish cemetery, vegetable garden, and poultry. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Occasionally, individuals and the regular caretaker clean and clear. The caretaker is probably paid by use of the gravedigger's house. Within the cemetery are a caretaker's house, a rebuilt ceremonial hall, and a morgue. Pollution from the caretaker's farm is a threat.
Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5 completed survey 19 Nov 1991. Documentation: notes of arch. Jeno Barkany and Jewish Encyclopedia. Fiedler visited site in 1990. No interviews.
US Commission No. SLCE000229
Trnava is located in Trnava, NE of Bratislava. The flat urban site, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign, but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a masonry wall and locking gate. 500-5000 19th-20th century marble, granite, limestone, sandstone, and other materials flat shaped tombstones (some with carved relief decorations), finely smoothed and Hebrew and German inscribed stones, or double tombstones are in original locations. The site is Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are other cemeteries. Private visitors visit frequently. Restoration included: re-erection of stones, cleaning stones, clearing vegetation, and fixing of wall. The cemetery is cared for now by a regular caretaker. Within the cemetery are a pre-burial house and a gravedigger's house. No threats.
Map of Town
|Last Updated on Thursday, 29 January 2009 17:39|