|SKALICA: [SZAKOLCA , SKALITZ, SAKOLCIUM ,, SZAKOLCZA|
Alternate name: Skalica [Slov], Szakolca [Hun], Skalitz [Ger], Sakolcium [Lat], Szakolcza. 48°51' N, 17°14' E, W Slovakia, 48 miles N of Bratislava (Pressburg), 38 miles W of Trencín (Trencsén), on the Czech border. Jewish population: 280 (in 1880), 135 (in 1921)
KehilaLink [May 2015]
US Commission No. CZCE000010
Alternate names: Skalitz (German), Szakolca, Szakolcza (Hungarian); Sakolcinum (Latin); Uherska Skalice (Czech ) Skalica is located in Senica at 48º49' and 17º13', 60 km SE of Brno and 80 km N of Bratislava. The new cemetery is 1 km. N of Main Square, between the Catholic and Evangelic cemeteries. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community in this town was the mid-18th century. 1940,Jewish population was about 800. The Jewish cemetery was established in first half of 19th century with last known Jewish burial before 1944.
The flat suburban location, separate but near cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing public Evangelic cemetery, access is open to all via broken fence and no gate. The pre- and post-WWII size is about 3000 square meters. 1-20 granite and sandstone 19th century finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Slovak inscriptions. The unknown owner uses site for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural and Christian cemeteries. Rarely, private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized between 1945 and 1981 with no maintenance since. The caretaker is paid by a local contribution. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, vandalism and proposed nearby development. Slight threat: pollution.
Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5, tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 26 Dec. 1991. No documentation was used.
BOOK: Die juedischen Friedhoefe in der Slowakei ; [Jewish Cemeteries in Slovakia] as of 1966, by the late Eugen Barkany: A tombstone from 1398 was used as paving, then found early in 19th c. "Here rests the man Gaon Zechrja son of Rabbi Jedidja. Died Erew Jom Kipur 159...." Tombstone still existed, badly damaged, in 1965. In the new cemetery, the stones are used as benches where the children play handball." [Source?]
US Commission No. SLCE000156
Map of Village
Photos of Village
|Last Updated on Sunday, 10 May 2015 21:26|