|RADVAN: Banska Bystrica|
US Commission No. CZCExxx009
Alternate name: Slovakian: Radvan nad Hronom, Hungarian: Radvan is located at 48º43' 19º08' in Banska Bystrica, 160 km NE of Bratislava. (Today part of town of Banska Bystrica) Cemetery is in N part of Radvan, between Okruzna St., Druzby St., and Bocna St. Radvany. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 (all Banska Bystrica) with probably under 10 Jews.
1921 Jewish population was 46 or over 100. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established in between 1900-1911 with last known Jewish burial after 1950. The urban hillside, part of a municipal cemetery or separate but near cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing public defunct Christian cemetery, access is oen to all via a broken fence and no gate. The size of cemetery before WWII and now is 900 square meters. 20 to 100 marble and granite 20th century stones, most in original location are flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments with Hebrew, German, Slovak and Hungarian inscriptions. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures but foundations of pre-burial house.
The unknown owner uses property Jewish cemetery and a fruit orchard. Adjacent properties are the former Christian cemetery and street. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery has been vandalized occasionally between 1945 and 1991. Jewish individuals within country did restoration before 1960 but no maintenance now. Very serious threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism. Moderate threat: pollution, vegetation and proposed nearby development.
Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5, tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 26 Dec. 1991. Local inhabitants were interviewed.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 29 January 2009 02:00|