NITRA: Mestsky urad [Nyitra, Neutra] Print

Nitra [Slov], Nyitra [Hun], Neutra [Ger] 48°19' N, 18°05' E46 mi ENE of Bratislava. Jewish population: 3,141 (in 1869), 4,358 (in 1940)

CEMETERY:

Hviezdoslavova Trieda Cemetery:

  • In Nitra, both Orthodox and Reform/Neolog cemeteries can be found on the same site on the hill near a neighborhood called Klokočina on Hviezdoslavova Trieda street. This complex isone  if the best preserved cemeteries in Slovakia with about 5,000 graves. The entrance is through a gate on the Reform part of the cemetery. On this 120x80m area, monumental marble and granite gravestones with Hebrew, German, Hungarian and Slovak inscriptions can be found. Originally, the cemeteries were separated by a brick wall, which was ruined during World War II, when the Orthodox cemetery served as a strategic base for German soldiers fighting against the progressing Soviet army. Quadratic holes used as gun-pits still can be seen on the body of the former fence. After the war, both cemeteries were desolate. The today's appearance results from a long maintenance project. The 240x300m Orthodox cemetery is older then the Neolog cemetery. Possibly, several gravestones were moved from an older, lost Jewish cemetery, whose location is unknown. Simple sandstone gravestones datie from the 17th century and impressive marble 20th century gravestones are found as well. Some of the older gravestones are decorated with remarkable motives, e.g. view of the Western Wall in Jerusalem. The cemetery chapel stands near the entrance to the Orthodox cemetery. Holocaust memorial was erected nearby. A children's section is located in NW part of the cemetery. Source and photos. [Sep 2014]

US Commission No. SLCE000009 and US Commission No. SLCE000296

    • Alternate names: Neutra and Nyitra in Hung. Nitra is located in Nitra at 48º19' 18º05'. Present population is 25,000-100,000 with 10-100 Jews.
    • Town: Mestsky urad, 949 01 Nitra.
    • Regional: Vlastivedne muzeum, Samova ulica, 949 01 Nitra.
    • Caretaker with key: Viliam Glueck, Zavalie 5, 920 01 Hlohovec is sexton who resides at cemetery.
  • The earliest know Jewish community was in 1258. There were probably more than 2,000 Jews in Nitra before W.W.II. Last know Orthodox or Neolog Jewish burial was about 1987. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a masonry wall and locking gate. 500-5000 19th century tombstones, in original locations, are less than 25% toppled or broken. Special sections exist for women who died in childbirth, Orthodox Jews, and Neolog Jews.
  • The oldest tombstone is from the 18th century (transferred). The marble, granite, sandstone, and other materials flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German, and Hungarian inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims. Within the cemetery are an ohel and a house for the sexton. The local Jewish community owns the property. Adjacent properties are commercial and residential. Frequently, private visitors and local residents visit. Restoration included re-erection of stones, patching broken stones, cleaning stones, clearing vegetation, and fixing wall and gate. Now, there is a regular caretaker and No threats.
  • The survey was completed 15 Nov 1991 by Petr Ehl (see information at beginning of section) and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5. Documentation: notes of arch. Jeno Barkany, P. Ujvary: Zsido Lexikon. Petr Ehl visited the site in 1991. No interviews.

 

January 2009:

Map of Town

Photos of Town

Town Nitra

Erb Nitra Address: Phone:
00 421 37 650 21 11
Mestský úrad Fax: 00 421 37 650 23 31
Štefánikova 60 Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
950 06 Nitra
SLOVAKIA
Web: www.nitra.sk

Region: Nitriansky
District: Nitra
Micro region: Nitriansky
Inhabitants: 89 751
Area: 10800 ha
First paper reference: in year 830
Mayor: doc. Ing. Jozef Dvonč, CSc.
Chief: PaedDr. Ľubomír Martinka
Last Updated on Saturday, 06 September 2014 19:54