|NITRA: Mestsky urad|
town image [February 2009]
US Commission No. SLCE000009 and US Commission No. SLCE000296
Alternate names: Neutra and Nyitra in Hung. Nitra is located in Nitra at 48º19' 18º05'. Present population is 25,000-100,000 with 10-100 Jews.
Town: Mestsky urad, 949 01 Nitra.
Regional: Vlastivedne muzeum, Samova ulica, 949 01 Nitra.
Caretaker with key: Viliam Glueck, Zavalie 5, 920 01 Hlohovec is sexton who resides at cemetery.
The earliest know Jewish community was in 1258. There were probably more than 2,000 Jews in Nitra before W.W.II. Last know Orthodox or Neolog Jewish burial was about 1987. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a masonry wall and locking gate. 500-5000 19th century tombstones, in original locations, are less than 25% toppled or broken. Special sections exist for women who died in childbirth, Orthodox Jews, and Neolog Jews.
The oldest tombstone is from the 18th century (transferred). The marble, granite, sandstone, and other materials flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German, and Hungarian inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims. Within the cemetery are an ohel and a house for the sexton. The local Jewish community owns the property. Adjacent properties are commercial and residential. Frequently, private visitors and local residents visit. Restoration included re-erection of stones, patching broken stones, cleaning stones, clearing vegetation, and fixing wall and gate. Now, there is a regular caretaker and No threats.
The survey was completed 15 Nov 1991 by Petr Ehl (see information at beginning of section) and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5. Documentation: notes of arch. Jeno Barkany, P. Ujvary: Zsido Lexikon. Petr Ehl visited the site in 1991. No interviews.
Map of Town
Photos of Town
|Last Updated on Monday, 09 February 2009 13:56|