town image [February 2009]
US Commission No. SLCE000079
Alternate names: Slovakian: Svaty Martin, Turciansky Svaty Martin; Hungarian: Szent-Marton, Turocszentmarton. Martin is located SE of Zilina.
The urban crown of a hill, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a masonry wall and locking gate. 20-100 marble and granite flat shaped 19th-20th century tombstones, with Hebrew and German inscriptions are in original locations. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims (1972). Site is used as a Jewish cemetery only. Property adjacent to the cemetery is another cemetery. Occasionally, private visitors stop. There was patching broken stones, cleaning stones, and clearing vegetation. Occasionally, individuals clean or clear. There are no threats. [listed for Czechoslokia also]
Alternate name: Slovakian -Svaty Martin, Turciansky Svaty Martin, Hungarian- Szent-Marton, Turocszentmarton. Martin is located in Martin at 49º04' 18º56', 22 km SE of Zilina and 165 km NE of Bratislava. The old cemetery is located 300 meters S of Main Square. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
Town: Mestsky urad, odbor kultury, Hlavne nam., (square) 1, 036 01 Martin.
Regional: Okresny urad, odbor kultury, Hlavne nam. 1, 036 01 Martin.
Interested: Turcianske muzeum A. Kmeta, 036 01 Martin and Jozef Palencik, Hurbanova, 7/4, 036 01 Martin, tel. 332-65.
Map of Town
Photos of Town
The earliest known Jewish community in this town was probably beginning of 19th century. Jewish population was 141 or probably over 300 Jews in 1921. The Jewish cemetery was established after 1800 with last known Jewish burial about 1934. The isolated flat urban location adjoined the synagogue. Reached by turning directly off a public road, the approximate size of cemetery before W.W.II was about 2000 square meters and is now 0 or 2000 square meters. No stones are in their original location. 20th century marble and granite tombstones flat shaped tombstones or finely smoothed stones have Hebrew, German, Slovak and Hungarian inscriptions. [Sic: liquidated in 1976] Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. The municipality owns the property used for waste dump or abandoned [unclear], street and lawn. Adjacent properties are residential and street. Cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of new roads or highways and liquidated before 1976.
Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5, tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 26 Dec. 1991. No documentation was used. The site was not visited. Josef Palencik, a member of the Jewish Congregation, was interviewed.
|Last Updated on Monday, 09 February 2009 13:54|