|LIPANY [Hethars, Siebenlinden, Lipjany, Lipiany, Septem Tiliis]: Sabinov district, Presove Region|
Lipany (Hungarian: Héthárs, German: Siebenlinden, Siebenlinden, Lipjany, Lipiany, Septem Tiliis is a town in northeastern Slovakia. Jews arrived in Lipany in the early 18th century. 1848 Jewish population: 130. The community built its first synagogue in 1859. In the early 20th century, a Beit Midrash and a Talmud Torah were established. After WWI, Zionist activities and organizations began. In 1929, a new, larger synagogue was consecrated. In March 1942, nearly 400 Jews from Lipany were transported to various Polish ghettos and concentration camps.The 19th/20th cemetery has 62 gravestones.
burial list [January 2010]
photos of cemetery. [Sept 2014]
US Commission No. SLCE000048
Lipany is located NW of Presov; alternate name: Lipiany and Lipjany: 4909 2058.
An individual with information about the cemetery is Anton Valko, Sabinovska 16, Lipany. See books by the late Eugen Barkany in Introduction. Cemetery is about 2 km into the forest, with traces of a stone wall, but no tombstones. They were used to construct a RR line. The flat urban isolated location has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. 100-500 19th-20th century marble and sandstone flat shaped tombstones and flat stones with carved relief decoration with Hebrew and German inscriptions are in original locations. The property is used for a garden. Adjacent properties are residential. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vegetation was cleared. Now, individuals clean or clean occasionally. Security, vandalism and weather are minor threats.
Map of Town
Photo of Town
|Last Updated on Saturday, 06 September 2014 10:17|