Ladmovce is located in Slovakia just over the Hungarian border, 3.5 km N of Satoralijauijhely, Hungary and 50 km ESE of Kosice, Slovakia, 48º25' 21º42', 215.2 miles E of Bratislava.The cemetery is located at the end of the town on flat land. When entering from the south, it is on the right hand side. Town population is about 500 with no known Jewish population.
Jewish population as of the last census before World War Il was 185 The Jewish cemetery was established in the 1800's with last known Sephardic Orthodox burial in the 1940's. Nearby villages also used this flat rural cemetery with no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a fence and unlocked gate. The size of cemetery before W.W.II and now is 2 hectares. Of the 20-50 marble and granite 20th century flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, or sculpted monuments gravestones with Hebrew inscriptions, less than 25% are toppled or broken. Jews who lived in this town were chaulk merchants like the Fruhlingers. The local community owns cemetery property. Adjacent properties are cemeteries and rural farms. Cemetery boundaries remain the same since 1940's. The cemetery was not vandalized in the last ten years. Individuals and groups within Slovakia cleaned stones and cleared vegetation. Weather erosion and vegetation are serious threats.
Lee Goodman completed this survey on 7/21/97 using the following documentation: Magyarorszag Geographial Szotara ; W here Once we Walked ; and personal photographs. Interviewed for this survey was Stefan Barany, Mayor of Ladmovce at the Mayor's office in Ladmovce (C. 1 1 Psc 07634 Telephone 93624 or 9361 7 byt). Cindy and Lee Goodman, 32 Johns Drive, Pennellville, NY 13132 Phone/Fax 315-668-2222 visited the site on 7/21/97.
Map of Village
Photos of Village
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 28 January 2009 16:13|