|KOMARNO [КОМАРНО]: Horodok Raion, Lviv Oblast|
Alternate names: Komarno and Комарно. 49°38' N 23°42' E, 307.2 miles W of Kyyiv . 1890 Jewish population: 2,161.
"a small rural town that is a short drive from Lviv. Its traditional wooden Ukrainian church, an impressive but crumbling building of the Polish church and a few remaining stones at an old Jewish cemetery are still there to remind us of the town's rich multicultural Galician past. Komarno was also home to a well-known rabbinical dynasty of the same name." Source [Sept 2014]
Bet Komarno; korot ha-'ir ve-toldotehah, me-hivsadah ve-'ad hurbanah: rabanehah, gedolehah ve-admore"ha, ishehah, hayehem ve-khilayonam
KOMARNO: also used the cemetery at Rudki
US Commission No. UA13040501
Alternate names: Komarno (Polish). The town is located at 49º38 23º42, 38 km from L'vov and 18 km from Gorodok. The mass grave is located 4 km far from the village, at the south. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with 11-100 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 17th century. 1931 Jewish population was 2550. The last known Jewish burial was 1943. No Jews from other towns or villages were murdered here. Between fields and woods, the isolated flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with non-locking gate surrounds unlandmarked the mass grave. 1 to 20 common tombstones, all in original location, date from 1994. The site contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns the property used as Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are the forest. The mass grave boundaries is larger now than 1939. The mass grave is visited rarely by private visitors. This mass grave has not been vandalized. Now, occasionally, individuals clean or clear. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Moderate threat: vegetation (seasonal). Slight threat: weather erosion (seasonal) and pollution. No threat: uncontrolled access, vandalism, and existing nearby development and proposed nearby development.
US Commission No. UA13040101
The cemetery is located at the northwest part of the center. The last known Hasidic burial was before WWII. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission. A continuous fence with gate that locks surrounds site. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII and now is 2.00 hectares. 101 to 500 common tombstones, none in their original location, date from 1788. Removed stones were incorporated into roads or structures. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns the site used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, private visitors stop here. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. Jewish individuals abroad fixed wall and fixed gate in 1990. USA Jews pay the regular caretaker (?). Within the limits of the cemetery is an ohel. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and vegetation. No threat: uncontrolled access, vandalism, and existing nearby development and proposed nearby development.
In the woods on the edge of town. The site is reached via a dirt road through farm country, past the town dump, and a short way off in thick trees. Fenced with a broken gate, the site is thickly overgrown forest. [January 2009]
|Last Updated on Saturday, 06 September 2014 09:59|