You are here: Home Eastern Europe Slovakia KOMARNO: [KOMÁRNO,Komarnom. KOMÁROM,RÉVKOMÁROM, KOMORN, KOMORAN ,
KOMARNO: [KOMÁRNO,Komarnom. KOMÁROM,RÉVKOMÁROM, KOMORN, KOMORAN , PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Komárno [Slov], Komárom [Hun], Komorn [Ger], Komoran [Serb], RÉVKOMÁROM [Hun], Komarnom. 47°46' N, 18°08' E, On the Danube (Hungary-Slovakia border), 54 miles ESE of Bratislava, opposite the Hungarian town of Komárom. Before WWI, they were one city: Komárom. 1900 Jewish population: 2,296, Komárno is Slovakia's principal port on the Danube and also the center of the Hungarian community in Slovakia,,which makes up roughly 60% of the town's population. The town is the historic seat of the Serbian national minority in Slovakia.

January 2009: Map of Town, Photos of Town

Wikipedia [Sep 2014]

Ul. zlatého muža  1, Komárno Cenetery: The cemetery is located in the western part of the town on a lot between the residential neighborhood, Christian cemetery, and an elevation of the main road to Bratislava. In 1976, when the main road to Bratislava was constructed, the government authorities seizure of part of the cemetery. The graves were exhumed. About a hundred matzevot were removed to the cemetery wall. A smaller compound section without graves was cut off by the road. The old section of the cemetery is overgrown. The main part is in overall fair condition as the local Jewish community maintains it. The gravestonranes ge from simple pink matzevot from the 19th century to large black granite gravestones made before WWII. The older tombstones have Hebrew and later Hungarian inscriptions. Sporadically Slovak also is found. The most prominent personality buried here was Rabbi Pinchas Leib Frieden.Source and photos[Sep 2014]

US Commission No. SLCE000311

Komarno is located SE of Bratislava. The flat urban cemetery site is separate but near other cemeteries. Inscriptions mark the pre-burial house. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a masonry wall and locking gate. Present size of the cemetery is 150x200 meters.

100-500 marble and granite 19th-20th century tombstones, in original locations, are flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, or double tombstones with Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims. Within the cemetery are a pre-burial house, a well, and a gravediggers' house. The local Jewish community owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. The cemetery is smaller than in 1939 because of new roads or highways. Occasional private visitors go to the site. Restoration: re-erection of stones, patching broken stones, cleaning stones, and clearing vegetation. There is a regular caretaker. No threats.

photos of cemetery. [Sept 2014]

MASS GRAVE:

 

  • Holocaust mass grave with 114 martyrs from here dates from1945. The older structure with distinct Magen David near the entrance is probably the older cemetery chapel, which ceased to be used, when the new ritual hall was constructed during the interwar period. The later one contains the memorial of World War I fallen and the Holocaust memorial. Source and photos. [Sep 2014]

 

  • US Commission No. SLCE000311 [Sep 2014]

Erb Komárno Address: Phone:
00 421 35 770 17 54
Mestský úrad Fax: 00 421 35 770 27 03
Nám. gen. Klapku 1 Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
945 01 Komárno
SLOVAKIA
Web: www.komarno.sk

 

Region: Nitriansky Obec Komárno
District: Komárno
Inhabitants: 36731
Area: 10281 ha
First paper reference: in year 1075
Mayor: MUDr. Tibor Bastrnák

Last Updated on Saturday, 06 September 2014 20:04
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution