|HLOHOVEC: okres Hlohovec|
Alternate names: Hlohovec [Slov, Cz], Galgóc [Hun], Frayshtatl [Yid], Freistadt [Ger], Freistadt an der Waag, Frašták, Galgocz. 48°26' N, 17°48' E, 37 miles ENE of Bratislava, 15 miles NW of Nitra, 10 miles NE of Trnava (Nagyszombat). Jewish population: 1,160 (in 1869), 727 (in 1940).town image and town image [February 2009]
The agricultural area grew wheat, barley, beets, and sugar. Hlohovec was a railroad junction, and also had woodworking and and distilling factories. Its former fortress of Leopoldov has been converted into a penitentiary. flag and coat of arms for the town is shown and the site notes that it is a town of about 18,00O, located in the Zapadoslovensky province, 30 miles south of Piestany.
US Commission No. SLCE000231
Hlohovec is located NE of Trnava. The person with the key to cemetery is Mrs. Hornova, SNP St. 21/D, Hlohovec, Mr. Gluck. The urban hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a masonry wall and locking gate. 100-500 marble, granite, limestone, sandstone, and other materials 19th-20th century tombstones in original locations, are flat shaped tombstones (some with carved relief decorations), finely smoothed and inscribed stones, double tombstones, or multi-stone monuments with Hebrew and German inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The local Jewish community owns the cemetery property. Adjacent properties are residential and another cemetery. Private visitors visit frequently. Restoration: re-erection of stones, cleaning stones, clearing vegetation, and fixing of walls and gate. A regular caretaker cares for the cemetery. Within the cemetery are a pre-burial house and a tomb. No threats.
Map of Town
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 01 October 2014 17:11|