|BANOVCE NAD BEBRAVOU: Bánovce nad Bebravou|
US Commission No. SLCE000008 and US Commission No. SLCE000294
Alternate name: Bánovce nad Bebravou. The town is located at 48º43' 18º16', 107 km NE of Bratislava and 48 km NNE of Nitra in Topolcany. Cemetery location is NE outskirts of town. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with less than 10 Jews.
Last known burial in Orthodox Jewish cemetery was 1989. The suburban hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a masonry wall and locking gate surround the present size of the cemetery, 30x60 meters. Compared to 1939, cemetery boundaries are smaller due to enlarging of the Catholic cemetery. 20-100 19th century tombstones are in the cemetery with 25-50% toppled or broken, but all in original locations. The marble, granite, and other materials flat shaped tombstones (finely smoothed and inscribed stones, and multi-stone monuments) have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains special monuments to Holocaust victims and Jewish soldiers. Within the limits of the cemetery is an ohel. The site is now used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural and a municipal cemetery. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Restoration carried out was re-erecting of stones, clearing vegetation, and fixing wall and gate. There is now a regular caretaker and No threats.[date-pre 1997]
January 21, 2003 - Banovce nad Bedravou - A 19th-century Jewish cemetery was desecrated in the western Slovak town of Banovce nad Bedravou, about 100 kilometers northeast of the capital, Bratislava. Thirty-five tombstones were toppled and vandals drew a swastika in the snow by the gate to the cemetery. ADL
|Last Updated on Friday, 28 August 2009 18:50|