You are here: Home Eastern Europe Serbia Topovske Šupe Holocaust Memorial
Topovske Šupe Holocaust Memorial PDF Print E-mail

[January 2009] HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL:

Topovske Šupe, a former weapons depot, was the first transit camp set up after the 1941 Nazi occupation. From August to December, large numbers of Jewish and gypsies were forced into the camp. Many were killed. Topovske Šupe closed at the end of 1941. The remaining prisoners were transferred to various camps including the Sajmište. On 27 January 2006, a Holocaust memorial at the site was dedicated. The bronze relief in the form of an open scroll - recalling a Torah scroll has a brief history of the camp in Serbian, Hebrew and English reading: "Between August and December 1941, this site served as a Nazi concentration camp for Jews and Roma from Belgrade and Banat. All of them were imprisoned here and several hundred were taken daily for execution by firing squad." Address: Topovske Šupe Memorial park (Autokomanda neighbourhood). photos

Last Updated on Sunday, 17 January 2010 20:15
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution