Alternate names: Senta [Serb], Zenta [Hun, Rom, זענטאYid], Serbian: Сента. 45°56' N, 20°05' E, in N Serbia, 79 miles NNW of Beograd. Jewish population: 1,374 (in 1931). "Beginning on January 20, 1942, Hungarian occupation forces in Novi Sad killed up to 1,800 civilians, made up of 813 Jews and 380 Serbs. The victims were executed and thrown onto the frozen Tisa on Danube River. The Hungarian forces then shot into the ice to break it up. Most of the Serbs and Jews drowned. The Hungarian forces shot at those who were still afloat. These killings were by the Hungarian Army, known as the Honvedseg or Hungarian Armed Forces, Hungarian police force known as the Magyar Kiralyi Csendorseg, or the Royal Hungarian Gendarmes, and home guards or nemzetorsegek, consisting of local Hungarians and Germans. The Banat region of Vojvodina was placed under direct German military control. Local ethnic Germans, volksdeutsche, were conscripted into the Waffen SS by the Reichsfuehrer SS Heinrich Himmler." Source [January 2010]
- Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), p. 1162: "Senta".
- Pinkas HaKehilot, Yugoslavia (1988), p. 242: "Senta"
- The Jewish cemetery at Dubrovacka Street 18 has a memorial to the thousands of Jews killed here by the Nazis. Source: Srdjan Matic, MD, 40 West 95th Street, Apt. 1-B, New York, NY 10025; (212) 222-7783