Alternate name: Beograd
[January 2009] The earliest Jewish settlers in Belgrade (medieval Ashkenazi refugees from central Europe). A large Sephardic community developed after the Turks conquered the city in 1521.Second World War Jewish population was more than 12,000 Jews, most Sephardi. Belgrade's Jewish quarter, Dorcol neighbourhood near the Danube and the main street, Jevrejska Ulica (Jewish Street), still exists. Little is Jewish about the area now. After the Nazi occupation of the city in April 1941,Belgrade was the first large city in Europe to be Judenrein. Today's Jewish population is about 2,000, including about 200 refugees from Sarajevo. The suburb of Zemun, once on the Austro-Hungarian side of the Serbian border, has an important Jewish community with a separate history .A single building on Kralja Petra is the focus of Belgrade's Jewish community. Jewish Historical Museum covers the religious and cultural history of Serbian Jewry from Roman times to the Second World War and houses the offices of the Federation of Jewish Communities in Serbia and Montenegro and the local Jewish community. The museum established in 1948 housed the Jewish community center since 1969.
The Ashkenazi late neo-classical synagogue at Marsala Birjuzova Street 19 was built in 1926 as a Jewish community center also. Set in a courtyard behind a gated wall, facade has a wide central staircase and four large windows that light the sanctuary. A round window with a Mogen David is set within the gable. The Nazis used the building as as a military brothel. Refurbished after the war and restored in 1990, the synagogue is well maintained and used for regular services. See photos. Two other synagogues were destroyed in World War II. Beth Israel Synagogue (Sephardic) was was a 1908 Moorish structure with two small towers and striped outer decoration. The Fresco Gallery, a subsidiary of Belgrade's National Museumnow on the site, bears a memorial plaque commemorating the Jewish community. Cara Urosa 20
Banjica Concentration Camp museum was established in Belgrade and managed by Sonderkommando beim KCL Banjica of the SS with police from Serbia's collaborationist government. From 1941 to October 1944, over 24,000 Serbs, Jews, and others were killed. Veljka Lukica Kurjaka 33, +381 11 669 690,
Belgrade's two Jewish cemeteries are located across the street from each other at Mije Kovacevica Street 1, near the city's municipal cemetery.
Sephardic cemetery: Larger of than the Ashkenazi, is well maintained with many fine tombs. Some display photos of the deceased. Gravestones inscriptions are in Serbian, German, Hebrew, Ladino, Hungarian. A Holocaust monument, erected in 1952. A Shemos plot (buried cache of used sacred books) has with a distinctive tombstone in a prominent place in the cemetery and recently restored. photo.
Ashkenazi cemetery: Across the street from the Sephardic cemetery, this site is much smaller with about 200 gravestones, minimally maintained but in fairly good condition. Mije Kovacevica Street 1, +381 11 768 250. inactive
|Last Updated on Sunday, 17 January 2010 19:09|