You are here: Home British Isles Scotland GLASGOW: (9 cemeteries)
GLASGOW: (9 cemeteries) PDF Print E-mail

Community established in 1823. For Community Information, see Glasgow on JCR-UK.

Glasgow has the following Jewish burial society:

Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society, (PO Box 7317) 222 Fenwick Road, Giffnock, Glasgow, G46 6UE, Scotland. [December 2000].

[UPDATE] The Burial Society, founded in 1908, is responsible for several of the Orthodox Jewish cemeteries, as indicated below. A SEARCHABLE DATABASE, affiliated with JCR-UK, has now been created for three of these cemeteries (further details below).  [May 2015]

Scottish Jewish Cemeteries website includes searchable databases in respect of burials at all Glasgow Jewish cemeteries (other than the Necropolis Jews Enclosure).  [September 2016]

 

CEMETERIES:

Glasgow has the following Jewish cemeteries:

  • Cardonald Cemetery: 547 Mosspark Blvd. G52.

Used by the small Reform congregation, Glasgow New Synagogue, Ayr Rd. Newton Mearns, Glasgow G77. Contains about 90 burials listed with congregation.  Source: Scottish Jewish Archive Center list of burials, 127 Hill St. Glasgow G36UB United Kingdom,  supplied by Harvey L. Kaplan, MA, 1/L 11 Millwood St. Glasgow, G41  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . [December 2000]

[UPDATE] Scottish Jewish Cemeteries website (http://www.scottishjewishcemeteries.org) includes a searchable database in respect of "over 190 burials" at this cemetery.  [September 2016]

  • Cathcart Hebrew Cemetery: Netherlee Rd., Glasgow G44.

Used by Queens Park Hebrew Congregation, Falloch Road, Glasgow G42, which holds the register of over 1,100 burials.  Source: Scottish Jewish Archive Center list of burials, 127 Hill St. Glasgow G36UB United Kingdom, supplied by Harvey L. Kaplan, MA, 1/L 11 Millwood St. Glasgow, G41 3JY Tel: 041-649-4526  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . [December 2000]

The cemetery opened 1927 and was also shared by Queens Park Synagogye with the Pollockshields Synagogue  Source: David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK, [August 2016]

[UPDATE] Scottish Jewish Cemeteries website (http://www.scottishjewishcemeteries.org) includes a searchable database in respect of "over 1,300 burials" at this cemetery.   [September 2016]

  • Craigton Cemetery, Jewish Section:

In use 1881-1897, more  than 230 burials (SJAC).  Source: Scottish Jewish Archive Center list of burials, 127 Hill St. Glasgow G36UB United Kingdom, supplied by Harvey L. Kaplan, MA, 1/L 11 Millwood St. Glasgow, G41 3JY  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . [December 2000]

This was the third cemetery of the orthodox Glasgow Hebrew Congregation. Source: Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society.  [May 2015]

Most of the headstones are no longer extant. The cemetery would appear to have been acquired initially by the Glasgow New Hebrew Congregation of 2 Commerce Street, extended in 1891 Source: David Shulman, Webmaster of JCR-UK [September 2015]

[UPDATE] Scottish Jewish Cemeteries website (http://www.scottishjewishcemeteries.org) includes a searchable database in respect of 'over 230 burials" at this cemetery.  [September 2016]

  • Glenduffhill Cemetery:

In use 1934 to date; next door to Sandymount. List with Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society (see Sandymount below for address) Source: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

This cemetery was desecrated: Source: Date Line World Jewry, World Jewish Congress: [April 1997]

[UPDATE] A SEARCHABLE DATABASE, with a description of the cemetery, has been created by the Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society, and is affiliated with JCR-UK. It contains details of approximately 7,600 burials [over 7,700 burials - UPDATE September 2016] from 1934 and has been assembled from digital photographs of the headstones together with additional information extracted from the few available extant records. A search result includes GPS coordinates for the individual graves (accurate to about one metre) together with a locate button which, when clicked, brings up a Google satellite image of the cemetery section showing the location of the grave. The layout of the Cemetery, including the row assignments, can also be viewed on the website. Glenduffhill is now the only cemetery still used for burials by members of the Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society (apart from some reserve plots at Riddrie and Sandymount). . [May 2015]

[UPDATE] The searchable database of the Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society is also now included in the database of the Scottish Jewish Cemeteries website (http://www.scottishjewishcemeteries.org).  [September 2016]

  • Janefield Cemetery (Eastern Necropolis):

In use 1856 - c1935; more than 500 burials (SJAC). Source: Scottish Jewish Archive Center list of burials, 127 Hill St. Glasgow G36UB United Kingdom, supplied by Harvey L. Kaplan, MA, 1/L 11 Millwood St. Glasgow, G41 3JY.  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it [December 2000]

This was the second cemetery of the orthodox Glasgow Hebrew Congregation.  [May 2015]

[UPDATE] Scottish Jewish Cemeteries website (http://www.scottishjewishcemeteries.org) includes a searchable database in respect of "over 160 burials" at this cemetery.  [September 2016]

  • Glasgow Necropolis, Jews' Enclosures: .

In use 1832-1851; 53 burials; (SJAC) See: Scottish Jewish Archive Center list of burials, 127 Hill St. Glasgow G36UB United Kingdom supplied by Harvey L. Kaplan, MA, 1/L 11 Millwood St. Glasgow, G41 3JY. Tel: 041-649-4526,  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

A column marks the entrance to the "Jewish Enclosure." Though the tombs inside the enclosure are now overgrown, the ones just outside the enclosed area can still be examined. They mark the graves of Jews who married non-Jews, their peripheral burial sites denoting their marginal status in the community when alive. Source: Marlena Thomason, in article "Jewish Glasgow" in Washington Jewish Week, 9/17/1988 [December 2000]

This was the first cemetery of the orthodox Glasgow Hebrew Congregation. Source: Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society, provided by: David Shulman, Webmaster of JCR-UK, May 2015]

UPDATE] Glasgow Necropolis Jewish Cemetery Restoration - The  19th century Jewish section of Glasgow’s Necropolis Cemetery is one of eight historic sites in Scotland that will share in a £1.6 million grant from Historic Scotland to open historic sites to the public. Historic Scotland’s Building Repairs Grant Scheme allocated more than £13,000 to the cemetery to repair 15 headstones, as well as other work to make visiting the site, which has not been used for burials since the early 1850s, easier and provide information about it. (Historic Scotland states: Glasgow’s Necropolis is undoubtedly one of the most important monuments of Victorian Glasgow, internationally significant as a spectacular example of a Garden cemetery, featuring memorial designs by many leading architects and sculptors of the time, including an early work by Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The Jewish Enclosure within the Necropolis (awarded £13,125) was acquired around 1832 and marked by a column based on Absalom’s Tomb in King’s Dale, Jerusalem. The enclosure was very quickly filled, due to the fact that Jewish Law forbids the burial of more than one person in a grave, and so no burials have taken place since the 1850s. The enclosure is therefore an integral piece of Jewish heritage in Scotland, and important for the architecture and history of the Necropolis. The project aims to repair and restore fifteen fallen headstones, a staircase and rubble wall, as well as installing a handrail and posts to increase accessibility. The works also include plans to install a viewing area and information boards outlining the history of the graveyard.) Source: Jewish Heritage Europe [August 2015]

  • Riddrie Cemetery: Provanmill Rd., Glasgow.

In use 1909-1977 approximately 730 burials (SJAC). Source: Scottish Jewish Archive Center list of burials, 127 Hill St. Glasgow G36UB United Kingdom, supplied by Harvey L. Kaplan, MA, 1/L 11 Millwood St. Glasgow, G41 3JY  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it [December 2000]

[UPDATE] South Portland Street Synagogue established the cemetery at Riddrie in 1909 and this was taken over by Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society in 1974. A SEARCHABLE DATABASE, affiliated with JCR-UK, with a description of the cemetery, has been created by the Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society. It contains details of approximately 740 burials, from 1909 to 2003, and has been assembled from digital photographs of the headstones together with additional information extracted from the few available extant records. Work on providing location of graves via GPS coordinates is in progress. The layout of the Cemetery, including the row assignments, can be viewed on the website. Although no longer in general use, there are some reserve plots at the cemetery, used as recently as 2003.  [May 2015]

[UPDATE] The searchable database of the Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society is also now included in the database of the Scottish Jewish Cemeteries website (http://www.scottishjewishcemeteries.org).  [September 2016]

  • Sandymount Cemetery: Hallhill Road., Barlanark.

In use 1908-1993; Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society (GHBS), 49 Coplaw St., Glasgow G42 has list; about 2200 burials (SJAC). Source: Scottish Jewish Archive Center list of burials, 127 Hill St. Glasgow G36UB United Kingdom supplied by Harvey L. Kaplan, MA, 1/L 11 Millwood St. Glasgow, G41 3JY  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it [December 2000]

[UPDATE] A SEARCHABLE DATABASE, with a description of the cemetery, has been created by the Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society, and is affiliated with JCR-UK. It contains details of approximately 2,300 burials, from 1905 to 1993, and has been assembled from digital photographs of the headstones together with additional information extracted from the few available extant records. Work on providing location of graves via GPS coordinates is in progress. The layout of the Sandymount Cemetery, including the row assignments, can be viewed on the website. Although no longer in general use, there are some reserve plots at the cemetery, used as recently as 1993. Source: Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society [May 2015]

[UPDATE] The searchable database of the Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society is also now included in the database of the Scottish Jewish Cemeteries website (http://www.scottishjewishcemeteries.org).  [September 2016]

  • Western Necropolis Cemetery: Tresta Road., Maryhill.

Over 1000 burials (SJAC). Source: Scottish Jewish Archive Center list of burials, 127 Hill St. Glasgow G36UB United Kingdom. supplied by Harvey L. Kaplan, MA, 1/L 11 Millwood St. Glasgow, G41 3JY  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it [December 2000]

There have been Jewish burials in the Western Necropolis since 1889 (or possibly 1882/3). The Cemetery was established  by the Chevra Kadisha Synagogue, but later repossessed by the Western Necropolis Co. In 1895, iit was acquired by the Garnethill Synagogue. Later also shared with Poalei Zedek Synagogue and the New Central Synagogue. Source:David Shulman, Webmaster of JCR-UK [September 2016]

[UPDATE] Scottish Jewish Cemeteries website (http://www.scottishjewishcemeteries.org) includes a searchable database in respect of "over 1,300 burials" at this cemetery.  [September 2016]

Last Updated on Thursday, 22 September 2016 17:25
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution