LIPTON: Saskatchawan Print

Jewish agricultural colony village in Western Canada where "the Jewish population of 53 formed 15.01 % of its total population...Forty Jewish families (a total of 100 people) founded Lipton in 1901 with the help of ICA. They were taught by nearby Indians and Metis how to erect log houses chinked with clay and roofed with sod. In Lipton, too, Jewish teachers were engaged and a cemetery laid out." [Source]

References:

  • "Jewish pioneers on Canada's prairies: The Lipton Jewish agricultural colony." Jewish History, Volume 21, Numbers 3-4 / September, 2007, 385-411
  • Yossi Katz and John C. Lehr, The Last Best West: Essays on the Historical Geography of the Canadian Prairies (Jerusalem, 1999).
  • Louis Rosenberg, "Jewish Agriculture in Canada" YIVO Annual of Social Sciences 5 (1950), 205-215
  • Louis Rosenberg, Canada's Jews: A Social and Economic Study of the Jews of Canada in the 1930s (Montreal, 1931)
  • Abraham J. Arnold, "The Contribution of the Jews to the Opening and Development of the West" Transactions of the Manitoba Historical Society Series 3 no. 3, (Winnipeg, 1968-'69).
Lipton Hebrew Cemetery: 1901-1951, 80 graves about 5 miles N.E. of Lipton. 
    • photo. photos. article in "Prarie Kaddish", an illustrated history with poetry.  The cemetery is a Heritage Property (landmarked). Range/Lot/Concession: E ½ 24-23-13 W2. Area: RM of Lipton # 217. Municipality: East Central. Closest Community - Balcarres or Range/Lot/Concession: NW ¼ 07-23-12 W3. Area: RM of Tullymet # 216. Municipality: East Central   [April 2010]
Last Updated on Monday, 19 April 2010 12:02