You are here: Home Eastern Europe Romania ZAU de CAMPIE: Mures county, Transylvania
ZAU de CAMPIE: Mures county, Transylvania PDF Print E-mail

(former Zău; Hungarian: Mezőzáh; German: Sannendorf). May 25, 1339: population of 3,509: 80% Romanians, 11% Roma and 9% Hungarians. Zau de Câmpie belonged to the Kingdom of Hungary, Austrian Empire, Austria-Hungary Empire. Since 1918 it belongs to Romania after the re-unification of Transylvania with Romania. Occupied by Hungary between 1940-1944, the Jewish community was exterminated by the Nazis.

This village is in Mureş county, Transylvania with nearby villages of Bărboşi, Botei, Bujor-Hodaie, Ciretea, Gaura Sângerului, Malea, Ştefanca and Tău. [August 2009]

Zau de Câmpie belonged to the Kingdom of Hungary, Austrian Empire, Austria-Hungary Empire and since 1918 to Romania after the re-unification of Transylvania with Romania. Occupied by Hungary between 1940-1944, the Jewish community was exterminated by the Nazis. photos of the town. [March 2011]

US Commission No. ROCE-0435 -
The cemetery is located at Zau de Campie, near the village, cod. 4377, judet Mures, 4635 2411, 175.0 miles NNW of Bucharest and 50 km from Targu Mures. Alternate name: Zah (Hungarian). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

Mayor Calugar Octavian, tel. 421249, Zau de Campie

The Jewish Community of Mures, A. Filimon Str., no. 23,4300,Targu Mures, Romania, Tel. 0040-65-161810.

The Federation of the Jewish Communities of Romania, Sfintu Vineri Str., no 9-11, Sector 3, Bucharest, Romania.

"Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Universitatii Street, no. 7-9, room 61, 3400 Cluj Napoca, Romania, director: Ladislau Gyemant, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Key holder: none

The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. No wall, broken fence, and a non-locking gate. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 20 m x 15 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a constant problem disturbing stones. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.

The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone, marble and granite common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are a village setting with houses, gardens, orchards, and pastures. Pre- and post-WWII size is the same. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery had no maintenance. No care now. No structures. Security is a moderate threat. (broken fence) Vegetation is a moderate threat. ( a lot of grass )

Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 14 August 2000 using the following documentation:

  • Recensamantul din 1850. Transilvania (1850 Jewish Population Census. Transylvania) coord.: Traian Rotariu, Cluj 1996.
  • Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe. History of the Jews of Transylvania (1623-1944), Bucuresti, 1994, in Romanian, Budapest, 1995, in Hungarian
  • Recensamantul general al populatiei din 29 decembrie 1930 (The General Census of the Population from December 29, 1930), vol. II, Bucuresti 1938
  • Coriolan Suciu, Dictionar istoric al localitatilor din Transilvania (The Historical Dictionary of Localities in Transylvania), vol. I-II, Bucuresti, 1967

Cosmina Popa and Ioana Raiciu interviewed Szilagyi Istvan, Viforoasa. [January 2003]

Last Updated on Monday, 20 August 2012 13:29
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution