VOIVODENI: Mures Judet, Transylvania Print

46°42′0″N 24°38′0″E. Alternate name: Vajdaszentivány [Hung]. The commune comprised of the villages of Toldal/Toldalag and Voivodeni is the Székely Land region of historical Transylvania province. Until 1918, the village belonged to the Maros-Torda County of the Kingdom of Hungary. After the Treaty of Trianon of 1920, it became part of Romania.

US Commission No. ROCE-0434 -

The cemetery is located at Voivodeni, no. 123, cod 4269, judet Mures, 4642 2438, 171.8 miles NNW of Bucharest and 30 km. from Targu Mures. Alternate name: Vajda Szent Ivany (Hungarian). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Mayor Farago Petru, tel. 525849, Voivodeni
  • The Jewish Community of Targu Mures, A. Filimon Street, no. 23, cod 4300, Tel. 0040 - 65 161810, Tîrgu Mures, Romania.
  • The Federation of the Jewish Communities of Romania, Sfintu Vineri Str., no 9-11, Sector 3, Bucharest, Romania.
  • "Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Universitatii Street, no. 7-9, room 61, 3400 Cluj Napoca, Romania, director: Ladislau Gyemant, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  • Key holder and caretaker: Suto Iosif, no. 123, Voivodeni

The 1850 Jewish population by census was 50 and from 1930 census was 18. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Targu Mures; and on May 27, 30 and June 8, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The Orthodox unlandmarked cemetery was established in 18th century. Last known burial was 20th century.

The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached via private road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 100 m x 80 m. 20-100 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.

The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, granite, limestone, and sandstone tombstones have Hebrew inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been cleaning stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. No structures.

Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 7 August 2000 using the following documentation:

Recensamantul din 1850. Transilvania (1850 Jewish Population Census. Transylvania) coord.: Traian Rotariu, Cluj 1996.

  • Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe. History of the Jews of Transylvania (1623-1944), Bucuresti, 1994, in Romanian, Budapest, 1995, in Hungarian
  • Recensamantul general al populatiei din 29 decembrie 1930 (The General Census of the Population from December 29, 1930), vol. II, Bucuresti 1938
  • Coriolan Suciu, Dictionar istoric al localitatilor din Transilvania (The Historical Dictionary of Localities in Transylvania), vol. I-II, Bucuresti, 1967

They interviewed Suto Iosif, Voivodeni. [January 2003]

Last Updated on Monday, 20 August 2012 13:44