Alternate names: Viforoasa, Havadtő. 151.8 miles NNW of Bucureşt in Fântânele (Hungarian: Gyulakuta) commune in Mureş judet comprised six villages: Bordoşiu/Bordos, Călimăneşti/Kelementelke, Cibu/Csöb, Fântânele, Roua/Rava, and Viforoasa/Havadtő.
US Commission No. ROCE-0433 -
Viforoasa, Principala Street, no. 113, cod. 3284, judet Mures, 4626 2448, 151.8 miles NNW of Bucharest and 32 km from Targu Mures. Alternate name: Havadto (Hungarian). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
- Mayor Tar Andras, Singeorgiu de Padure, tel. 164 167, 578 301.
- The Jewish Community of Mures, A. Filimon Str., no. 23,4300,Targu Mures, Romania, Tel. 0040-65-161810.
- The Federation of the Jewish Communities of Romania, Sfintu Vineri Str., no 9-11, Sector 3, Bucharest, Romania.
- "Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Universitatii Street, no. 7-9, room 61, 3400 Cluj Napoca, Romania, director: Ladislau Gyemant,
- Key holder: Szilagyi Istvan, Principala Street, no. 113, Viforoasa.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 21 and from 1930 census was 24/ In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Tîrgu Mures and on May 27, 30 and June 8 were deported to Auschwitz. The 19th century unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery's last burial was 20th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached via private property,
access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 30 m x 20 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are a village setting with houses, gardens, orchards, and pastures.
Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 14 August 2000 using the following documentation:
- Recensamantul din 1850. Transilvania (1850 Jewish Population Census. Transylvania) coord.: Traian Rotariu, Cluj 1996.
- Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe. History of the Jews of Transylvania (1623-1944), Bucuresti, 1994, in Romanian, Budapest, 1995, in Hungarian
- Recensamantul general al populatiei din 29 decembrie 1930 (The General Census of the Population from December 29, 1930), vol. II, Bucuresti 1938
- Coriolan Suciu, Dictionar istoric al localitatilor din Transilvania (The Historical Dictionary of Localities in Transylvania), vol. I-II, Bucuresti, 1967
Cosmina Popa and Ioana Raiciu interviewed Szilagyi Istvan, Viforoasa. [January 2003]