|VASLUI: Vaslui judet.|
Alternate names: Vaslui [Rom], Vasluiul. 46°38' N, 27°44' E, 37 miles S of Iaşi (Yash). 1900 Jewish population: 3,747. Seat of Vaslui County in the historical region of Moldavia, the city administers five villages: Bahnari, Brodoc, Moara Grecilor, Rediu and Viişoara.
Jewish history: YIVO [June 2011]JewishGen Romanian SIG
"There once was a fairly large Jewish community in the city of Vaslui. Their arrival from Galicia during the second half of the 19th century gave a new impetus to the economical development. In 1899, Jews formed 37% of the population, and Vaslui was home to the Vasloi Hasidic dynasty. However, waves of pogroms, associated with the Holocaust (see Romania during World War II and Holocaust in Romania) as well as emigration to Israel during Romania's communist period largely diminished its presence." Source: Wikipedia. [June 2011]
US Commission No. ROCE-0658
The cemetery is located in Vaslui, judet Vaslui at Str. Calugareni, 88, judet Vaslui, 171.2 miles NNE of Bucharest. Current town population is over 100,000 with ? Jews.
The 1852 Jewish population by census was 269 and in 1930 was 3275. In 1941, the Jews were deported to Transnistria. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in the 19th century. Last known burial was July, 1999. The cemetery is 1 km from the congregation that used it.
The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is entirely closed. A masonry wall and fence with a gate that locks surround the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 120 X 300 m. 500-5000 stones are visible. 20-100 stones are not in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections. Within the cemetery boundaries is a house.
The oldest known gravestone dates from the 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, sandstone, and slate gravestones have inscriptions are in Hebrew and Romanian. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or letting, bronze decorations or lettering, and other metallic elements and metal fences around graves.
The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. Occasionally, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors and local residents stop at the never vandalized cemetery with no maintenance. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. Pollution is a moderate threat. Vegetation is a moderate threat.
Lucian Nastasă interviewed Sorin Boca, Str. Stefan cel Mare, no. 35, sc.A, ap.11, Vaslui. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Thursday, 10 April 2014 15:22|