ULIESU: Mures County, Transylvania Print

Alternate names: Kànyàd, Ulies, Ulieşu, Ulieşul. 46°13' N 25°14' E, 130.1 miles NNW of Bucureşt.

US Commission No. ROCE-0429

The cemetery is located at Ulies, no. 102, cod 4349, judet Mures, 4644 2420, 180.3 miles NNW of Bucharest and 25 km from Targu Mures. Alternate names: Nagy Olyves (Hungarian), Ulies (Romanian.) Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

    • Mayor Vasu Ioan, tel. 426003, Raciu
    • The Jewish Community of Targu Mures, A. Filimon Street no. 23, tel. 161810, cod, Tîrgu Mures, Romania
    • The Federation of the Jewish Communities of Romania, Sfintu Vineri street, no. 9-11, sect. 3, Bucharest, Romania
    • "Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Universitatii Street no. 7-9, room 61, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania, Director: Ladislau Gyemant, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
    • Key holder and caretaker: Bungardean Maria, no. 102, Ulies

The 1880 Jewish population by census was 4 and in 1930 was 5. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Targu Mures; and on May 27, 30 and June 8, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.

The isolated hill and hillside has no sign or marker. Reached via private road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 1000 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.

The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble and granite common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are residential. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery Maintenance has been clearing vegetation Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals.

Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 14 August 2000 using the following documentation:

  • Recensamantul din 1850. Transilvania (1850 Jewish Population Census. Transylvania) coord.: Traian Rotariu, Cluj 1996.
  • Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe. History of the Jews of Transylvania (1623-1944), Bucuresti, 1994, in Romanian, Budapest, 1995, in Hungarian
  • Recensamantul general al populatiei din 29 decembrie 1930 (The General Census of the Population from December 29, 1930), vol. II, Bucuresti 1938
  • Coriolan Suciu, Dictionar istoric al localitatilor din Transilvania (The Historical Dictionary of Localities in Transylvania), vol. I-II, Bucuresti, 1967

Cosmina Popa and Ioana Raiciu interviewed Bungardean Maria, Ulies [January 2003]

Last Updated on Monday, 20 August 2012 15:30