|UCEA de JOS: Brasov County|
45°47' N 24°40' E, 116.5 miles NW of Bucureşti. Ucea (Germ: Gassendorf) is a commune composed of four villages: Corbi, Feldioara, Ucea de Jos (the commune center) and Ucea de Sus. 98.5% Romanians.
US Commission No. ROCE-0206 -
The cemetery is located at Ucea de Jos, Principala Street no. 265, cod 2345, judet Brasov, Romania. Alternate names are Also-Ucsa (Hungarian) and Unterutscha (German.) 4547 2440, 116.5 miles NW of Bucharest and 25 km from Fagaras. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The Jewish population by census was five in 1857, thirteen in 1910, and one in 1930. The 19th and 20th century unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery on an isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site.
Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 40 m x 25 m. 1-20 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are and 1-20 stones are not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone and sandstone flat shaped common gravestones have inscriptions in Hebrew. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are "other." Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery Maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is an unpaid regular caretaker. No structures.
Oprea Ioana, B-dul 21 Decembrie, no. 13-15, ap.6, Cluj Napoca, tel: 190 849 and Popa Cosmina, Tatra Street, no. 4, ap.11, Cluj Napoca, tel: 128 764 visited the site and completed the survey on December 15, 2000 using the following documentation:
No interviews. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Monday, 20 August 2012 15:06|