|TUSINU: Mures county, Transylvania|
Alternate names: Tuşinu, Tuşinul. 46°44' N 24°14' E. 182.6 miles NNW of Bucureşti.
US Commission No. ROCE-0428 -
Tusinu, near the village, cod. 4391, judet Mures, 4644 2414, 182.6 miles NNW of Bucharest and 30 km from Targu Mures. Alternate name: Tusson (Hungarian). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 5 and from 1930 census was 3. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Tîrgu Mures and on May 27, 30 and June 8 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery dates from the 19th century. The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 30 m x 25 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a constant problem disturbing stones. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone flat shaped common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 8 August 2000 using the following documentation:
No interviews. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Monday, 20 August 2012 14:49|