|TURT: Satu Mare County, Transylvania|
Alternate names: Turţ [Rom], Turcz [Hun], Hebrew: טורץ Turc, Turtiu, Turts, 47°59' N, 23°13' E, in NW Romania, 20 miles NE of Satu Mare (Szatmár), 9 miles E of Halmeu (Halmi). Jews settled here in 1367 then left for Bulgaria until the late 19th century. 1899 Jewish population: 264 (3%).
Yizkor: Zikhron netsah la-kehilot ha-kedoshot Halmin-Turcz ve-ha-seviva asher nehrevu ba-shoa (Tel Aviv, 1968)
US Commission No. ROCE-0593 -
The cemetery is located at Turt, 3937, judet Satu Mare, 4759 2313, 281.1 miles NNW of Bucharest and 30 km from Negresti Oas. Alternate name: Turc (Hungarian). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
Mayor Ciupac Ioan, Town Hall of Turt, judet Satu Mare
The Jewish Community of Satu Mare, Decebal Street no. 4A, 3900 Satu Mare, Romania, tel. 0040-61-713703
The Federation of The Jewish Communities of Romania, Sfintu Vineri Street no. 9-11, sect. 3, Bucharest, Romania
Key holder and caretaker: Pop Gheorghe, Turt, no. 328
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 221, by 1900 census was 340, and in 1930 was 350. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Satu Mare and on May 19, 22, 26, 29, 30, 31, and June 1 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox, Hasidic cemetery was established in second half of the 19th century. Noteworthy individuals buried in the cemetery: 3 Cohanim. Last known burial was inter-war period.
The hill and flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open with permission. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre-WWII size is unknown. Approximate post-WWII size is 62 x 14 m. 100-500 stones are visible. 20-100 stones are not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from second half of the 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, sandstone, and concrete flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated, and double tombstones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop.The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones, patching broken stones, cleaning stones, and clearing vegetation by local non-Jewish residents in 1998. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. No structures.
Claudia Ursutiu, Pietroasa Street no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 30 June 2000 using the following documentation:
Recensamantul din 1880. Transilvania(1880 Transylvania Jewish Population Census.) coord.: Traian Rotariu, Cluj 1997.
Zsido Lexicon, ed. by Ujvari Peter, Budapest, 1929.
Izvoare si marturii referitoare la evreii din Romania (Sources and Testimonies on the Jews in Romania), vol. III/1-2, coord. L. Gyemant, L. Benjamin, Bucuresti, Ed. Hasefer, 1999
Claudia and Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Pop Gheorghe, Turt. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Monday, 20 August 2012 14:35|