You are here: Home Eastern Europe Romania TURNU MAGURELE: Teleorman County
TURNU MAGURELE: Teleorman County PDF Print E-mail
43°45' N 24°52' E, 77.2 miles SW of Bucureşt.

The cemetery is located at Turnu Magurele, Chimiei Street, near the Catholic cemetery 0750, jud. Teleorman, Romania. 4345 2452, 77.2 miles SW of Bucharest and 110 km from Giurgiu. Current town population is over 100,000.with fewer than 10 Jews.

  • Local Authority: Mayor Mohanu Nicolae, Town Hall of Turnu Magurele, 0750, Romania
  • National religious authority: The Federation of the Jewish Communities of Romania, Sfintu Vineri Str., no. 9-11, sector 3, Bucharest, Romania.
  • Interested: "Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History,
    Universitatii Street no. 7-9, room 61, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania, Director:
    Ladislau Gyemant, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  • Caretaker or key holder: Cristea Pandele, Chimiei Street, Turnu Magurele

The 1889 Jewish census population was registered 261 and 130 in 1930. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established at end of the 19th century. Last known burial was 1970. The urban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A masonry wall with a gate that locks surrounds the site.

Approximate pre-WWII size is unknown. Approximate post-WWII size is 300 X 60 m. 20-100 stones are visible. 20-100 stones are in original location. 1-20 stones are not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from end of the 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, limestone, sandstone, and concrete flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated. Some have metal fences around graves. Inscriptions are in Hebrew and Romanian. No known mass graves.

The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and orchard. Adjacent properties are residential and Catholic cemetery. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery Maintenance has been clearing vegetation by regular caretaker paid by the Jewish community of ?.

Within the limits of the cemetery is a preburial house. The chapel is now the caretaker's house. No threats.

Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Street no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 10 July 2001 using the following documentation:

  • Recensamantul general al populatiunei Romaniei din decembrie 1899 (The General Census of the Population of Romania from December 1889), Bucuresti, Lito-tipografia L. Motzatzeanu, 1900
  • Recensamantul general al populatiei Romaniei din 29 decembrie 1930, vol. II (The General Census of the Population of Romania from 29 December 1930, vol. II), Bucuresti, 1938
  • N. Iorga, Istoria evreilor in terile noastre (The History of the Jews of our Countries), Bucuresti, 1913.
  • M. Schwarzfeld, O ochire asupra istoriei evreilor din timpurile cele mai departate pina la anul 1850, (A look upon the Jewish History from the beginning until 1850), Bucuresti, 1887
  • C. Iancu, Evreii din Romania 1866-1919 (The Jews from Romania), Bucuresti 1996

No interviews. [January 2003]

Last Updated on Monday, 20 August 2012 14:26
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution