|TRIA: Bihor County, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0123 -
The cemetery is in Tria, com. Derna, 3793, judet Bihor, Romania at 4714 2216, 267.1 miles NW of Bucharest and 28 km from Marghita. Alternate name: Terje (Hungarian.) Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 23, by 1900 census was 37, and in 1930 was 30. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the Oradea ghetto and on May 23, 25, 28-30, and June 1-5, 27 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in end of 19th century. Last known burial was inter-war period.
The urban hillside and hill, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre-WWII size is unknown. Approximate post-WWII size is 76 x 28 m. 1-20 stones are visible. All gravestones are in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from end of 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble and concrete smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural and local cemetery. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery. Maintenance has been cleaning stones and clearing vegetation. Current unpaid care is regular caretaker. No structures. No threats.
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Street no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 3 July 2000 using the following documentation:
No Interviews. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Monday, 20 August 2012 14:01|