|TARNOVA: Arad County, Transylvania|
Târnova (Tirnova) is a commune in the contact zone of the Cigherului Hills and Zărandului Mountains 19,000 hectares composed of six villages: Agrişu Mare, Arăneag, Chier, Drauţ, Dud and Târnova ( 44 km from Arad).
Virtual Tarnova [August 2012]
US Commission No. ROCE-0054 -
The cemetery is located in the northern part of Tirnova village, a place named "Valea Porcilor" or "Dig", 2867, judet Arad, 4619 2148, 146.4 miles NW of Bucharest and 38 km from Arad. Alternate name: Ternova (Hungarian), Tarnova (Romanian). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 13 and in 1910 was 20 Jewish. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was around WWII. The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 16 m X 35 m. 20-100 stones are visible, all in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a constant problem damaging stones. Water drainage is a constant problem. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, and "other" flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for.
Assistant Professor Alexandru Pecican, Almasului Street, Bl. R1, apt. 14, Cluj-Napoca 3400, Romania visited the site and completed the survey on September 14, 2000 using the following documentation:
On August 27, 2000, Pecican interviewed Tuna Barbara, Lipova. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Monday, 20 August 2012 17:48|