|TARGUSOR: (Bihor County, Transylvania)|
47°23' N 22°10' E, 277.8 miles NW of Bucureşti. Târguşor, Tîrguşor. Târguşor is in Cherechiu commune (2010 population of 2,405 people) with two other villages: Cherechiu and Cheşereu.
US Commission Report:
The cemetery is located at 3761 Targusor, com. Cherechiu, judet Bihor, Romania at 4723 2210, 277.8 miles NW of Bucharest and 7 km from Sacuieni. The alternate names are Asszonyvasara (Hungarian) and Romanian name: Targusor. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 32, in 1900 was 44, and in 1930 was 6. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the Oradea ghetto and on May 23, 25, 28-30, and June 1-5, 27 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in the second half of 19th century with last known burial approximately 1950.
The rural/agricultural hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 25 x 23 m. 1-20 stones are visible. All gravestones are in original location. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from second half 19th century. Tombstones date from the 19th and 20th centuries. The marble and sandstone flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent property is local cemetery. Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries enclose a smaller area due to soil erosion/landslide. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery Maintenance has been clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures. Weather erosion is a moderate threat.
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Street no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 29 June 2001 using the following documentation:
Claudia and Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Szaldabagyi Gyula-Pal, 29. 06. 2000, Targusor. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Monday, 20 August 2012 18:09|