|TARGU JIU: (Gorj County)|
Jiu, Târgu Jiu, Târgul-Jiu, Tîrgu Jiu. 45°03' N 23°17' E, 144.5 miles WNW of Bucureşti. Capital of Gorj juet, Oltenia on the Southern Sub-Carpathians on the banks of the river Jiu, Targu Jiu administers Bârseşti, Drăgoeni, Iezureni, Polata, Preajba Mare, Româneşti, Slobozia and Ursaţi.
Wikipedia [August 2012]
US Commission Report:
The cemetery is located at Tirgu Jiu, 1400, Narciselor Street no. 6, judet Gorj, Romania. 4503 2317, 144.5 miles WNW of Bucharest and 113 km from Rimnicu Valcea. Current town population is over 100,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
The Jewish population by census was 69 in 1889 registered 69 and 101 in 1930. The landmarked [?] Orthodox cemetery was established in the second half of the 19th century. Last known burial was 1978. The urban flat land, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site.
Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 70 X 70 m. 20-100 stones are visible. 20-100 stones are in original location. 1-20 stones are not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 1870. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, and concrete memorial markers are flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated. Some have iron decoration or lettering, portraits on stones, and metal fences around graves. Inscriptions are in Hebrew, German, and Romanian. No known mass graves.
The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and orchard. Adjacent property is a Catholic cemetery. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery. Maintenance has been cleaning stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is regular caretaker paid by the Jewish community of Drobeta Turnu Severin. Within the limits of the cemetery is a preburial house and well. The former chapel is now the caretaker's house.
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Street no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 5 July 2001 using the following documentation:
Claudia & Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Crucisoru Constantin, 05. 07. 2001, Tirgu Jiu. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Monday, 20 August 2012 18:24|