US Commission No. ROCE-0015 -
The cemetery is located at Str. Progresului no. 4, Teius, judet Alba, Transylvania, Romania. The alternate name is Tovis (Hungarian.) 4612 2341, 169.2 miles NW of Bucharest and 20 km from Alba Iulia. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.
- Mayor Mateica Dorin, Teius.
- The Jewish Community of Timisoara, Gheorghe Lazar Street no. 5, Romania, tel., Timisoara, 1900, Romania
- The Federation of The Jewish Communities of Romania, Sfintu Vineri Street no. 9-11, sect. 3, Bucharest, Romania
- "Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Universitatii Street no. 7-9, room 61, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania, Director: Ladislau Gyemant,
- "A.D. Xenopol" Institute of History, Lascar Catargi Street, no. 15, 6400- Iasi Judet Iasi, Moldavia , Romania. Tel. 032/212614; e-mail:
. Director: Alexandru Zub.
- Key holder: Cordos Susana, Str. Progresului no. 4, Aiud, judet Alba
- Caretaker: Abraham Geza, Str. Tudor Vladimirescu no. 4, Alba Iulia, Romania. Phone: 00/40/58/817840
The Jewish population by census was 123 in 1850-1851, 141 in 1880, and 155 in 1930. The cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 1999 (Solomon Elemer.) The unlandmarked Orthodox and Neolog cemetery is 0.5 km from the congregation that used it.
The urban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre-and post-WWII size was 50 X 250 m. 500-5000 stones are visible.
500-5,000 stones are in original location. 1-20 stones are not in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, and sandstone memorial markers have inscriptions in Hebrew, Romanian, and Hungarian. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or letting, bronze decorations or lettering, and other metallic elements and portraits on stones. Some tombstones have metallic elements and metal fences around graves. The cemetery has Holocaust memorial. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. Occasionally, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery. No maintenance. Current care is unpaid regular caretaker. No structures.
Lucian Nastasă, Clinicilor Street, no. 19, Cluj, Romania, tel. 064/190107. Email:
document.write( '' );
document.write( addy_text24377 );
document.write( '<\/a>' );
visited the site and completed the survey on Oct.31, 2000.
- Tr.Rotaru (coord.), Recensamintul din 1880. Transilvania, Cluj, Edit. Staff, 1997.
- -Kalman Weszpremy, A magyarorszagi zsidok statistikaja, Debrecen, 1907.
- Recensamintul general al populatiei Romaniei, 1930, vol.II, publicat de Sabin Manuila, Bucuresti, 1938.
- Lajos Venetianer, A magyar zsidosag tortenete, Budapest, 1922
- Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe. Istoria evreilor din Transilvania (1623-1944), Bucuresti, Edit. Enciclopedica, 1994.
- Izvoare si marturii referitoare la evreii din Romania, I-III/1-2, Bucuresti, 1986-1999.
- Ladislau Gyemant, Evreii din Transilvania in epoca emanciparii (1790-1867), Bucuresti, Edit. Enciclopedica, 2000.
Lucian Nastasă interviewed Cordos Susana, Str. Progresului no. 4, Aiud, judet Alba on 30 October 2000. [January 2003]