|TAUTEU: Bihor County, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0120 -
The cemetery is located in Tauteu, 3781, judet Bihor, Romania at 4716 2220, 266.6 miles NW of Bucharest and 12 km from Marghita. Alternate names are Toti (Hungarian) and Tautau (Romanian.) Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 77, was 94 in 1900, and was 82 in 1930. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the Oradea ghetto and on May 23, 25, 28-30, and June 1-5, 27 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in second half of 19th century. Buried there is Cohan: Stern Beniamin Jehuda (1877-1947.) Last known burial was approximately 1950.
The rural/agricultural hillside, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Reached via other public property, access is open to all. A fence with a no gate. surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 40 x 11 m. 20-100 stones are visible, some not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from second half of 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, limestone, and concrete flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated, and double tombstones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions.
The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are local cemetery. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery has no maintenance or care now. No structures. Security is a moderate threat.
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Street no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site on 30 June and completed the survey on 1 July 2000 using the following documentation:
No interviews [January 2003]