|TARGU MURES: Mures judet|
Alternate names: Târgu-Mureş [Rom], Maros-Vásárhely [Hun], Neumarkt am Mieresch [Ger], Novum Forum Siculorum [Lat], Tîrgu Mures, Naymarkt, Neumarkt, Târgul-Mureş, Targu Myres, Torgu Muresh. : 46°33' N, 24°34' E, N Transylvania, capital of Judeţul Mureş. 1900 Jewish population: 1,658. Yizkor: Korot yehudei Marosvasarhely ve-ha-seviva (Tel Aviv, 1977)
TARGU MURES II: US Commission No. ROCE-0425 .
US Commission information pending [March 2001]
TARGU MURES I: US Commission No. ROCE-0424
Cemetery location: Verii str. No. 10, Targu Mures in Mures region, 350 km from Bucharest; 105 km from Cluj (Kolozsvar); 320 km from Timisoara (Temesvar). Alternate names:Neumarkt (German) and Marosvasarhely (Hungarian) Present total town population about 200,000 with about 250 Jews.
Mayor dr. Dorin Florea, 1 P-ta victoriei, tel 065.168330
Prefect ec. Carmen Vamanu, 2 P-ta Victoriei, tel 065.163211
President of City Council Virag Gyorgy, 2 P-ta Victoriei, tel 065.163211
Local and regional authorities: Jewish Community from Targu Mures
Keyholder and Caretaker: Petras Iulia, Verii str. No. 10
Jewish community dates from the late 18th century. About 8,000 Jews lived there in 1944, before deportation. The Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century. The last known burial was November 2000. The Orthodox community used this unlandmarked cemetery about 4 km. from the congregation, but no other towns or villages did. The urban cemetery location on an isolated hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence and a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate current and pre-WWII size of cemetery was 3 hectares. Approximately 2,300 gravestones are in the cemetery with approximately 1,500 toppled or broken. No stones have been removed.
The vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a constant problem disturbing graves. Water drainage at the cemetery is a seasonal problem. The cemetery has no special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 1854. The 19th century marble, granite, limestone, and concrete flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones, and obelisks have bronze decorations or lettering and/or metal fences around graves. Inscriptions are in Hebrew, Hungarian, and Romanian. The cemetery contains special memorial mounuments to Holocaust victims Jewish soldiers. No known mass graves. The local Jewish community owns the property now used only as a Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are residential. Private visitors (Jewish or non-Jewish) visit the cemetery occasionally.
The cemetery never was vandalized. Current care includes clearing of vegetation, fixing of wall and gate by Jewish individuals within country as well as by occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. The caretaker is unpaid. Within the limits of the cemetery there is a pre-burial house, a tahara (table), and statue. Vegetation is a serious threat.
Anton Szmuk & Gratiela Szmuk, 217/709 1 Decembrie 1918, 4300, Targu Mures, Mures, Romania. 00 40 92 724225 and 00 40 92 248981 completed this survey 27 December 2000 using the The Jewish Community's Burial Registry. They visited the site in December 2000 and interviewed Sauber Bernath, president of the local Jewish Community in his office.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 November 2012 13:24|