|SUPURU de SUS: Satu Mare County, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0586 -
The cemetery is located at Supuru de Sus, 3973, com. Supuru de Jos, judet Satu Mare, 4726 2246, 261.7 miles NW of Bucharest and 18 km from Tasnad. Alternate name: Felsoszopor (Hungarian). The oldest known gravestone dates from 1963. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 44, by 1900 census was 39, and in 1930 was 73. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Satu Mare and on May 19, 22, 26, 29, 30, 31, and June 1 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established at end of the 19th century. Last known burial was inter-war period.
The rural/agricultural hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate. Approximate pre-WWII size is unknown. Approximate post-WWII size is 50 x 20 m. 1-20 stones are visible. 20-100 stones are not in original location. [sic] 50%-75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
Cannot determine if cemetery has/had special sections. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, sandstone, and concrete flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated, and double tombstones gravestones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. No known mass graves.
The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural and local cemetery. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been cleaning stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. No structures. Security is a serious threat. (no fence, no gate) Weather erosion and vegetation are moderate threats.
Claudia Ursutiu, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj Napoca, Romania, tel. 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey 28 July 2000 using the following documentation:
They interviewed Ardelean Laurentiu and Sorin Avlau, Supuru de Sus [January 2003]