|SULITA: Botosani judet|
US Commission No. ROCE-0198
The cemetery is in Sulita, Botosani judet, Moldavia region at 47°42' 26°56', 25 km from Botosani. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The 1831 Census registered 100 Jewish families, that from 1838, 195 Jewish families and that from 1899 registered 164 Jewish inhabitants. The 1930 Census registered 88 Jewish inhabitants. Prominent residents include Sabetai ben Itac, Iosep Leib-scholar rabbis. This Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century. The last known Jewish burial in cemetery was in May 7, 1968 (Beila Esanu). The unlandmarked Conservative cemetery is 1.5 km from the congregation that used it.
The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property, access is open with permission. A continuous masonry wall and a gate that locks surround. The pre- and post-WWII size is 130-m X 70 m. 500 - 5,000 gravestones are visible in the cemetery. 500 to 5,000 tombstones are visible. 1 to 20 are not in original location. More than 75% are toppled or broken. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year.
Tombstones date from the 19th through the 20th century. The marble, limestone, and sandstone tombstones are rough stones or boulders, flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, and flat stones with carved relief decoration. Some have portraits on stones. Inscriptions are in Hebrew and Romanian.
The national Jewish community owns the cemetery property used for agricultural purposes. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries enclose the same area. Rarely, private visitors (Jewish or non-Jewish) stop. The never vandalized cemetery has no maintenance from the regular unpaid caretaker. No structures.
Weather erosion and vegetation are slight threats.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 10 April 2014 15:04|