|SOVATA: Mures County, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0420 -
The cemetery is located in Sovata, near the village, cod 3295, judet Mures, 4635 2504, 156.6 miles NNW of Bucharest and 60 km from Targu Mures. Alternate name: Szovata (Hungarian). Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 14 and from 1930 census was 80. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Targu Mures; and on May 27, 30 and June 8, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 800 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, and limestone common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are recreational. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. Maintenance has been clearing vegetation Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 10 August 2000 using the following documentation:
No interviews. [January 2003]