|SIRIOARA: judental Bistrita|
US Commission No. ROCE-0179
The cemetery is located at Sirioara, no. 127, code 4416, judet Bistrita, Romania, 4706 2417, 203.8 miles NNW of Bucharest and 26 km. from Bistrita. Alternate names are Sarvar (Hungarian) and Schart (German). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was eighteen and twenty in 1930 census In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Bistrita and on June 2 and 6 were deported to Auschwitz.
The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size was 1500 m. 20-100 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The granite flat shaped and smoothed, inscribed, and carved relief decorated gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for an orchard. Adjacent properties are a village setting with houses, gardens, orchards, and pastures. Visitors are rare at the never-vandalized cemetery. Maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Raiciu, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on July 21, 2000 using the following documentation:
They interviewed Vultur Anita, Sirioara. [January 2003]