|SINPETRU de CIMPIE: Mures County, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0419 -
The cemetery is located at Sinpetru de Cimpie, Ciorgau Street, no. 63,cod. 4391, judet Mures, 4643 2416, 180.8 miles NNW of Bucharest and 24 km from Targu Mures. Alternate name: Szent Peter (Hungarian), Sanpetru-de-Campie, Barlibas. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 13 and from 1930 census was 43. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Tîrgu Mures and on May 27, 30 and June 8 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery dates from the 19th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 20 m x 30 m. 1-20 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone and sandstone flat shaped gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are a village setting with houses, gardens, orchards, and pastures. Rarely,
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 15 August 2000 using the following documentation:
Cosmina Popa and Ioana Raiciu interviewed Sipos Luca, Sinpetru de Cimpie. [January 2003]