|SINMACLAUS: Alba judet, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0014
The cemetery is located at Str. Hurubeni no. 9, Sinmiclaus, judet Alba, Transylvania, Romania. Alternate names are Szentmiklos (Hungarian) and Sanmiclaus (Romanian.) 160.1 miles NW of Bucharest and 25 km from Blaj. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The Jewish population by census was 41 in 1880 and fourteen in 1930. The cemetery was established in the 19th century. Last known burial was approximately 1920. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery is 25 km from the congregation that used it. The rural/agricultural hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open with permission. A fence with a no gate surrounds the site.
Approximate pre- and post-WWII size was 35 X 60 m. 20-100 gravestones are in cemetery. 1-20 stones are in original location. All gravestones are in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The marble, limestone, and sandstone The 19th and 20th century Some have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or letting, bronze decorations or lettering, and other metallic elements. Some have portraits on stones. Have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. The local Jewish community owns the property used for an orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 10 April 2014 14:59|