|SINCRAIU: Cluj County, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0257 -
The cemetery is located at Sincraiu, near to the post office, 3526, judet Cluj, 4650 2259, 223.8 miles NW of Bucharest and 5 km from Huedin at 4652 2303, 223.3 miles NW of Bucharest. Alternate name: Kalotaszentkiraly. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1857Jewish population by census was 15 and in 1930 was 18. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the Oradea ghetto and on May 23, 25, 28, 29, 30 and June 1, 3, 5, 27, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural. flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 24 X 14 m. 1-20 stones are visible, all in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is a constant problem. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century sandstone and "other" flat shaped and double tombstones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation by local non-Jewish residents in 1985. Current care is regular caretaker paid by the Jewish community of Cluj ohel.
Assistant Professor Alexandru Pecican, Almasului Street, Bl. R1, apt. 14, 3400 Cluj-Napoca