|SIMAND: Arad County, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0050 -
The Jewish population by 1880 census was 176 and by 1910 census was 68. Noteworthy Jewish resident of the community were Friedmann Abraham, rabbi around 1840-1845. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was around 1948.Neighboring an irrigation channel, between grain fields, cemetery needs maintenance and gives a fair general impression.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is one hectare. 20-100 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is a constant problem. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, and sandstone smoothed and inscribed, sculpted monument gravestones have Hebrew, Hungarian, and Romanian inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries enclose a smaller area. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop.
The cemetery was not vandalized in the last ten years. Maintenance has been clearing vegetation. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. No structures.
Assistant Professor Alexandru Pecican, Almasului Street, Bl. R1, apt. 14, 3400 Cluj-Napoca
He visited the site September 9, 2000 and interviewed Isai Floarea, Simand. [January 2003]