|SILINDIA: Judetul Arad|
The cemetery is located at 4621 2155, 242.1 miles NW of Bucharest and 53 km from Arad at Somesului Street, the place named Boros, Santana, code 2977, Arad county in the northern part of the village next to a small wood. The few stones are almost lost at the edges of the Catholic cemetery. Alternate name: Selend (Hungarian). Town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The Jewish population by 1880 census was 27 and 35 in 1910: The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery dates from beginning of the 19th century. Last known burial was around 1950. The rural (agricultural) flat land, part of the Catholic cemetery, is reached by turning directly off a public road. Access is open to all. A broken fence and no gate surround the cemetery. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 20 m X 30 m. Five gravestones are visible., all in original location. Less than 25% are tumbled or broken. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage at the cemetery is a constant problem. No sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone and sandstone flat shaped tombstones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent to cemetery are commercial/industrial. Rarely, private visitors stop at the never-vandalized cemetery. Maintenance has been clearing of vegetation. Current care is unpaid caretaker. No structures Vegetation is a moderate threat.
Asst. Prof. Alexandru Pecican, Almasului Street, Bl. R1, apt. 14, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on September 14, 2000 using the following documentation:
He interviewed Almasi Karol, Silindia on August 27, 2000, [January 2003]