|SILEA: Alba judet, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0013 -
The cemetery is located at Silea, com. Farau, judet Alba. Transylvania. Alternate name is Sulye (Hungarian.) 4619 2407, 161.7 miles NW of Bucharest and 40 km from Tirnaveni at 4620 2417. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The Jewish population by census was eighteen in 1880. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 19th century. The cemetery is 40 km from the congregation that used it. The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate.
Approximate pre- and post-WWII size was 20 X 20 m, 20-100 gravestones are in cemetery. 1-20 stones are in original location. All gravestones are in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th century limestone, sandstone, and marble tombstones have inscriptions in Hebrew and some metallic elements. The national Jewish community owns the property used for an orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, local residents stop at the never vandalized cemetery with no maintenance or care. No structures. Security is a moderate threat.
Unnamed interviewees. [January 2003]