|SIGHISOARA: Mures County, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0418 -
In 1838 Jewish population by census was 12, in 1850 was 6, in 1857 was 12, in 1869-1870 was 24 and in 1930 was 146. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Targu Mures and on May 27, 30, and June 8, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre-and post-WWII size is 1500 m. 20-100 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, and limestone gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are recreational. Private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. Maintenance has been clearing vegetation Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 8 August 2000 using the following documentation:
No interviews. [January 2003]